Monday, April 24, 2017

Crown of Blackberries

I had a few blackberries sitting in my fridge that were demanding my attention. I pondered about  what to do with them when I came across an ad from IHOP and I was suddenly craving pancakes. I put them in a pot and muddled them up with sugar, butter, vanilla and a touch of bourbon. Reduced them down and poured them on some homemade buttermilk pancakes. Not only were they delicious to eat but my house smelled incredible for hours. 

           

I love Blackberries. They are comfort food and take me back to long warm summers at my Granny Ina's  house in the back of nowhere West Virginia. Her house was off of a dirt road by a creek and she had chickens. 

                               
                    Country road in Preston County, West Virginia by Grayspace Imigery

She traded eggs for cream and milk with a lady who had a dairy cow who lived a a mile down the road and she was known to make homemade wine from Grapes she grew. 

Legend tells that Blackberries were not so dark in color before the death of Christ. They became that way because of how they were used on Him. You see, the Crown of Thorns that was shoved on to His head were blackberry brambles and the dozens of pricks to His head and face were the result of the tiny sharp thorns of the plant.     
                                                        William C.D. Glaser

When this happened the berries started weeping a deep royal purple/red in honor of the His blood that they had shed. That is how they came to be the color they are. 

This week enjoy Crown of Blackberries

No comments:

Post a Comment