Monday, July 10, 2017

Oystermen and Women



My 3rd Great Grandfather John lists his occupation as an 
Oysterman in 1860. 

An Oysterman can be a person who sells, gathers and/or cultivates oysters. It can also be a type of boat specifically equipped to harvest oysters. His occupation in prior years says sailor. 

Oysters have been around since the dinosaurs and fortunately for Oystermen (and me) they did not go extinct like those huge beasts. 

One of my favorite photos is of my father shucking oysters with me. 

For your enjoyment here is a link to poem by Oliver Wendell Holmes titled Ballad of the Oysterman
  

Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809-1894) by E. T. Billings

Or as Hector Hugh Munro said 
"Oysters are more beautiful than any religion...There's nothing in Christianity or Buddhism that quite matches the sympathetic unselfishness of an oyster."


Hector Hugh Munro


This week enjoy Oystermen and Women

No comments:

Post a Comment