Monday, August 7, 2017

Women of This Land

I just returned from an adventure in Denver.

One of my escapades led me to the Denver Museum of Art for all things art.  Another to the American Museum of Western Art to search for one of my favorite painters of Native People. I was not disappointed. 

I am a fan of artist George Catlin. I know he is surrounded by controversy. Some believing he exploited and others saying he captured in his portraits a people and way of life that would soon be destroyed. 

George visited 48 tribes in 6 years leaving us with a look back.  While some of his portraits are detailed and show great care, 
                
                      Little Wolf by George Catlin

others appear clumsy and rough. 

                                   
                          Du-cór-re-a, Chief of the Tribe, and His Family by George Catlin

Perhaps some people sat with pride and patience and others were shy and elusive causing him to have to draw fast.

In honor of my solo adventure into the once Wild West I have chosen his portraits of women. 
Oó-je-en-á-he-a, Woman Who Lives in a Bear's Den  -  George Catlin,

This week enjoy Women of This Land. 

No comments:

Post a Comment