Monday, March 13, 2017

Fruity Jack



Jackfruit are back in my local market. They are not a new thing but last year was my first encounter with these odd giant fruits. There was a taste demonstration and I bravely stepped out of the crowd to sample. When she asked me what I thought  the first thing that came to mind was cotton candy. A faded mango/honeydew cotton candy. Weird! I did not hate it, I did not love it and it was a complicated prize to get so I would not buy it. 

For those of you who do not know it is a large (bigger than an American football) green bumpy watermelon looking thing.  
It is filled with Alien looking pale yellow pods
that contain a pit surrounded by the edible fruit. 

Jackfruit is in the fig family and is native to Southeast Asia. They grow on trees
and are the National fruit of Bangladesh. It is called chakka in Malaysian which the Portuguese wrote as jaca.

If you are in a market that is offering a taste try some. 

This week enjoy some Fruity Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment