Monday, March 6, 2017

Pies of Meat

There I was blissfully watching the Great British Baking Show
when they decide to make meat pies. WHAT??!! I watch because there is no meat on the show. My bliss is now stress. I want frostings and creams and fruit filled pastries. 

They are to create a Victorian meat pie
complete with intricate designs fit for the most discerning upper class. 

These pies can contain rabbit, pigeon, venison, chicken, pheasant, swan, pork, or any meat in any combination. They were baked in special decorative tins.
The pastry was not always eaten. In some cases it was just a way to encase the meat. Smaller pies were sold by street vendors or in shops so they could be eaten while traveling or moving about . No need to sit at the table. 

Remember Mrs. Lovett's Meat Pies.
Made from the victims of Sweeney Todd

My inspiration this week ... Pies of Meat.


No comments:

Post a Comment